Saturday, 29 November 2008

Reactor Testing

I have now learnt how to use the 'reactor' tool (after many frustrating hours!) following a tutorial - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbVIu61fQcA, (link found through Abby's blog). The reactor tool basically allows you to have objects fall randomly when hit by another object. So I thought this would be extremely useful for my scene, instead of animating each block on its own which would be very time consuming.

I ran into many problems and difficulties whilst trying to animate the train to bash into the building blocks. Problems that occured were:

- I had to link all the parts on the train and the building blocks (letters linked to block) together instead of having them grouped because reactor didn't work otherwise.
- For some reason, even though the blocks aren't touching, they seem to still be falling through each other, and the 'L' block even falls through the floor. I have checked the properties properly for the floor and the blocks making sure they have the correct boxes ticked etc, yet they still seem to be doing this. As I can't seem to fix this I have left it like that for the final animation, (some people who viewed the clip didn't even notice the blocks falling through the floor so that's a good sign at least!). To make it less obvious however, I plan to 'disguise' the error by making the camera angle view it in a way where it is not as visible.
- At one stage, the train wasn't even visible when previewing the animation and the blocks still fell (I then realised it was because I hadn't added all the relevant parts of the train into the 'RB Collection Properties') so that fixed that problem.

Below is a video of the reactor tool being tested out.
(Note: I mentioned previously how I was planning to animate the wheels on the train moving/rotating, however I have now decided not to animate the wheels as I figured this wouldn't be noticeable at all, unless the camera view was zoomed in really close, but this will not be the case).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't see the blocks falling through each other either.

The effect is looking great! I know how annoying reactor can be at times and you've managed to get nice result from it.