Thursday, 4 December 2008

My Silhouette & Biped

Here is a silhouette I have created of a child, seeing as the models Rich and Luke made were not able to be scaled down to size to portray a child's height.



This silhouette was created by using several boxes (for the body, arms, legs, hands and feet) and then modified by extruding polygons with the 'soft selection' tool. A 'turbosmooth' modifier was then applied to it for a more rounded finish. The head that I created from last semester's module was also added on, as I felt it had quite a child-like appearance. The legs, arms, head etc. were then attached to the body so that it was one object. Finally a black coloured material was applied as the default black colour wasn't dark enough, and with using the material colour instead, it made the silhouette actually look flat, which was what we wanted to achieve in the first place.

After modelling the silhouette, I then went on to learn how to use the Biped tool which I found extremely useful.

First of all, I had to select the Biped tool and drag out a Biped in the Front view to the correct size of my silhouette. I then had to adjust parts of the silhouette and arrange the positioning of the arms, legs, hands and feet to match the Biped.
Once this was done, I then had to add a 'skin' modifier to the body, and then select all the biped parts which meant that the biped was now connected to the body.



Now when I move the hand of the biped, the silhouette will move too - BUT, I have had major issues with the legs, and a bit with the arms, as I could not edit the 'envelopes' properly. For example, whenever I move the arms, some of the ear/head moved along with it, this was because the envelope was VERY big unlike how it should be, and no matter how much I tried to edit it, it just wouldn't work.

No comments: